For the last few days I have been craving a veggie dish and I wanted something with quinoa in it. I searched the internet for some ideas and improvised tonight.
I’ve made a Greek or Indian quinoa salad before, but never one with a Mexican base. It turned out pretty damn good! I use vegan sour cream and cheese because I can’t eat dairy. If you want you can always substitute for the regular stuff.
My only complaint is I have way too much leftover so next time, I would probably cut the recipe in half. I might try freezing the base of the recipe and see what happens. On the bright side, it cooks in one pan, which means easy clean-up.
- 2 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 cup of vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup of corn
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 bunch of cilantro (chopped)
- 2 limes
- 1 avocado (diced)
- 1 bunch of green onions (sliced)
- Daiya vegan shredded cheese (mozzarella or cheddar)
- Toffuti Sour Supreme
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pan, add olive oil, minced garlic and diced onion. Cook for about 3 minutes on low until it the onion becomes clear.
- Add vegetable stock, quinoa, corn, tomatoes, chickpeas, chile powder and cumin. Cook covered on low heat for about 25 minutes. You want to cook it until all the liquid is gone. Juice both limes and stir into mixture.
- To plate the dish, scoop the quinoa into a bowl and next top with vegan cheese, avocado, green onions and a dollop of sour cream on top. Sprinkle with pepper and salt.